St Mary’s Calne
St Mary’s Calne offers an academically enriching working environment within the beautiful Wiltshire countryside, with easy transport links to Bristol, Bath and London.
St Mary’s Calne is a member of the Headmasters’ and Headmistress’ Conference (HMC); it is a leader in the field of girls’ independent boarding education. It has around 360 girls aged 11-18, including 120+ girls in the Sixth Form. As well as innovative teaching, learning and scholarship, St Mary’s Calne offers outstanding pastoral care and a vibrant, warm community.
St Mary’s Calne believes in excellence in all respects. As a school community, we thrive amidst a culture of strong expectations and the education which we provide nurtures and develops the concept of high performance. The principal aim is to develop well-rounded pupils who are equipped to excel as adults.
Co-curricular opportunities beyond the classroom are a vital and integral part of life for girls at St Mary’s Calne. These opportunities are woven into the timetable during the day, in the evenings and at weekends. We believe that both boarders and day girls benefit from all aspects of the strong boarding ethos of the school.
St Mary’s Calne is looking for a talented and enthusiastic Teacher of English, with outstanding inter-personal skills, to teach English to all levels throughout the school from Year 7 to A Level. We would be pleased to receive applications from both experienced teachers and those new to the profession.
English Language and English Literature are currently taught by two full-time teachers and five part-time teachers; they form a friendly and harmonious team. The Department values creativity and originality alongside a rigorous analytical and critical approach to the study of both English Language and Literature. We strive to enthuse and challenge our pupils and hope to engender a life-long love of the written word.
The Department is well resourced with a very wide range of novels, plays and poetry anthologies as well as a selection of textbooks for both KS3 and KS4. We also have a broad bank of stimulus materials from which to draw.
All members of the Department keep abreast of change and development in teaching through a variety of CPD opportunities.
During the course of any academic year, we take groups of girls to theatres, lectures and student conferences and we run a number of enrichment activities. In addition, we run a number of co-curricular clubs, including The Writer’s Guild for creative writing, Book Clubs per year group and a Debate Club for KS3.
What we want from you
- A strong academic background and a good honours degree in English or a related subject.
- Qualified Teacher Status (desirable).
- Up to date knowledge of subject developments for pupils 11-18.
- An empathetic, enthusiastic and well-presented person, capable of inspiring confidence in pupils, parents and staff.
- Ability to: work flexibly to fulfil the requirements of the post; prioritise; work calmly under pressure and respond positively to changing demands.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with very good written and spoken English.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills; competency in the use of ICT for administration and teaching purposes.
- An understanding of the expectations, ethos and aims of a full boarding school.
- Committed to the safeguarding and wellbeing of children and young people.
What we offer
- Competitive salary and generous pension scheme.
- Excellent and tailored CPD within the department and across the school.
- Highly motivated pupils with lessons taught in small groups.
- Discounted membership of the St Mary’s Calne Sports Club.
- Fee remission for daughters educated at St Mary’s Calne and for sons and daughters educated at St Margaret’s Preparatory School.
- Complimentary meals in the Dining Hall during term time.
- Free on-site parking.
- Employee Assistance Programme.
How to apply
Telephone: 01249 857200 (Karen Turner)
Closing date: 9am, Thursday 22nd February 2024
Early application is advised as we reserve the right to make an appointment prior to the closing date.