Please apply on our website at https://www.purcell-school.org/about-us/staff-vacancies/
CVs will not be accepted
The Purcell School is seeking a pro-active, enthusiastic and dedicated sports graduate to join our friendly team of residential staff and contribute fully to the life of this busy boarding community. The successful candidate will be able to facilitate a wide range of sporting and recreational activities, will enjoy the company of young people, will be pastorally minded and enjoy living in a close and mutually supportive community.
Sport plays an important part in the life of The Purcell School. As a school for young musicians we do not offer mainstream team sports but physical education and fitness for life are essential to the well-being of our young musicians. As a boarding school where students are often busy throughout the school day, we need to provide opportunities for them to be involved in physical exercise at times that are convenient to them and in an environment which supports their musical ambitions.
We want our boarders to feel that they enjoy living here and strive to provide outstanding pastoral care and support. Each of our four houses is supervised by at least two resident staff, with other staff involved in a non-residential capacity. The successful candidate will support the Houseparent(s) with the day-to-day care of boarders, overnight cover and will respond positively to the needs and interests of our students. He/she will play a significant part in ensuring that our young musicians are safe, happy and healthy.
This is a full-time post, term-time only. It is a fixed term one year contract with the possibility of extending for a further year.
The salary will be in the region of £16000 pa
The post holder is required to live on site. Single accommodation is provided in a boarding house every day of the contract period. Accommodation (which may be shared) is provided free of rent, council tax and all utilities for the period of the contract. Meals are available and free of charge in the School dining hall during term time.
There is a three month probationary period, with notice of one term on either side after which the post will be confirmed as permanent, with a notice period of two terms. This post is subject to regular appraisal.
The Purcell School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
JOB TITLE: Sports Coach in Residence
– All members of staff are ultimately answerable to the Principal
– Your line manager will be the Head of PE
– You report to other members of staff in the following capacities:
– In Boarding, a Houseparent
This job specification sets out the duties of the post at the time of drafting. Specific responsibilities are as follows:
- To assist with PE lessons for all year groups, providing support for groups and students
- To assist with effective management of and deployment of resources
- To organise, supervise and promote recreational sporting activities in the evenings and at weekends
- To encourage all students to take part in physical exercise and active recreation
- To follow Health and Safety guidelines at all time and to undertake Risk Assessments as required
- To assist Houseparents with the day-to-day care of boarders
- To support the smooth running of the house by contributing to the duty rota. Up to four nights overnight “on call” will be required per week
- To be in residence for 48 hours prior to and after the end of each term to assist with the preparation and closing of the house
- To take an active role in the weekend activity programme
- To attend Parents’ evenings
- To participate in School inset meetings
- To contribute to the School’s extra-curricular and/or boarding provision