Stonyhurst College is the UK’s leading Catholic co-educational boarding and day school for pupils aged 3-18. Boarding is from the age of 7. At the College, there are approximately 500 pupils aged 13-18,two thirds of whom are boarders. At Stonyhurst St Mary’s Hall, the adjacent dedicated preparatory school, there are around 250 pupils aged 3-13. Stonyhurst is set in stunning countryside, near the Ribble and Hodder rivers and the beautiful Trough of Bowland. Manchester is only about an hour away by road or rail. The market town of Clitheroe is four miles away, and we are 12 miles from the city of Preston. The Lake District can be reached in about an hour, and the Yorkshire Dales are even closer.
Working at Stonyhurst College and St Mary’s Hall offers an outstanding opportunity to help young people change the world for others. We offer a warm and nurturing environment, balancing the
best of our history with ambitious aims for the future. Academic excellence, faith that does justice, perspectives and horizons and sustainability and accessibility form the themes of our work. Each school year brings new challenges and opportunities. Central to the safeguarding and wellbeing of our pupils is our talented and committed staff body, both inside and outside the classroom. Our teachers share a passion for education and young people whilst our support staff engage children at all levels, combining to create a diverse learning culture and home for our pupils.
The Deputy Head Pastoral will report to the Senior Deputy Head. They are part of the Senior Leadership Team and are the Senior Deputy Head’s key advisor on all matters relating to the pastoral care of the pupils, the culture, wellbeing, and the promotion of positive behaviour in line with Stonyhurst policies. The Deputy Head Pastoral must live out our values and uphold our safeguarding
policy at all times.
The Deputy Head Pastoral is a Senior Leader responsible for the leadership and management of the pastoral team, the promotion of the school’s ethos and the upholding of the school’s reputation for excellent pastoral care
They will work with a wide variety of people and teams, and have the following key responsibilities:
- To work collaboratively with Stonyhurst teams and families to ensure each pupil’s
experience at Stonyhurst is safe, happy and purposeful;
- To promote and uphold the Jesuit Profile in policy and practice in terms of the pastoral
care of pupils;
- To advise and support the Senior Deputy Head and to deputise in their absence;
- To take responsibility for maintaining a culture of purpose, compassion, discipline and
ambition at Stonyhurst;
- To co-ordinate the day-to-day routine of the College jointly with the Senior Deputy Head;
- To ensure pupils have a rich and age-appropriate programme of events and opportunities;
- To lead on the promotion of positive behaviour;
- To line manage the Houseparents and Playroom Leaders;
- To be a highly visible and approachable presence around the College including some
evenings and weekends;
- To liaise with, and promote partnership with parents, guardians and families;
- To collaborate closely with the Director of Safeguarding on all strategic and operational
safeguarding and pastoral matters;
- In liaison with Admissions, Marketing and Communications to provide great
communication with current and prospective parents;
- To take a leading role in the organisation, planning and delivery of key outward facing
- In liaison with the Assistant Head Co-Curricular to manage the calendar, events and trips.
To view the full job description and to download the application form, please click here.