- This event has passed.
BSA webinar – LGBT+ History Month and beyond
January 19 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- Date: January 19, 2022
- Time: 14:00 – 15:00
- Cost: Full Member – £60 / Additional Full Member – £15, Affiliate Member – £90 / Additional Affiliate Member – £20, Non-member – £120
- Audience: Deputy Head, Inclusion Lead, Head of Boarding, Teaching and Boarding staff.
- Platform: Zoom (online) This webinar will NOT be recorded.
This webinar, delivered for BSA by Educate & Celebrate, aims to empower participants to confidently plan class, boarding house or whole school activities and events around LGBT+ History Month (February) and other key dates.
Training topics will include:
- Empower all stakeholders to take a whole school approach to the inclusion of gender, gender identity and sexual orientation by utilising key dates on the school calendar
- Add value to the curriculum by demonstrating lessons and activities in all subject areas and key stages that support teaching and learning
- With the students, develop an intersectional approach to all aspects of school life which better reflect the school ethos, including systems, frameworks, policies, curriculum, environment and community
- Build staff confidence to make the necessary changes for quick wins and long-term sustainable change through key dates.
- Confidence and knowledge of key dates for the LGBT+ community
- Lesson plans and activities to promote LGBT+ History Month
- Suggestions for frameworks and policies to develop LGBT+ inclusion as a community beyond LGBT+ History Month.
Speaker: Dr Elly Barnes MBE, Founder and CEO, Educate & Celebrate
Dr Elly Barnes MBE is a long serving teacher, founder and CEO of Educate & Celebrate, an LGBT+ education charity that empowers and supports leadership teams, governors, teachers, pupils and parents to build a future of inclusion and social justice in their communities.
Beginning in the UK in 2005 and spearheading the Department for Education HBT anti-bullying project, Elly went on to be voted No: 1 in The Independent on Sunday’s Rainbow List 2011 for her commitment to LGBT+ in education and DIVA Activist of the Year 2018. Throughout the development of her pioneering PRIDE in Inclusion Award Programme, Elly formed a close partnership with Goldsmiths University of London and together with Dr Anna Carlile wrote a book called How to Transform Your School into an LGBT+ Friendly Place: A Practical Guide for nursery, primary and secondary teachers released in March 2018.