CLOSEcontent
MENUcontent
BSA Advanced Certificate Course CONTACT THE BSA
SUB MENU

BSA Advanced Certificate Course

BSA Advanced Certificate in Boarding Practice

The BSA's Programme of Professional Development and Training is the most comprehensive CPD package offered to staff in boarding schools, and includes a series of professional practice Certificate courses specifically designed to meet the practical needs of boarding staff and provide an internationally recognised qualification in Boarding Education.

This is a two year modular course is aimed specifically at staff working in and around boarding. Over the last 20 years  approx. 3000 House tutors, Matrons, Support Staff, School Nurses, Assistants, House Parents and HsMs have completed this Award.

This course is aimed at graduates and non graduates,  the key difference lies in the end of module assignment. The Course is arranged in 2 parts as follows:

• Part 1: BSA Certificate in Boarding Practice - (Pastoral Care)

and one of these:

• Part 2: BSA Advanced Certificate in Boarding Practice (Boarding Management)
  • Part 2: BSA Advanced Certificate in Boarding Practice (School Nurses)
  • Part 2: BSA Advanced Certificate in Boarding Practice (Pupil Support and Welfare)
  • Part 2: BSA Advanced Certificate in Boarding Practice (International Students)

What does this course cover?

This course is taken by both graduate teaching and non-graduate house staff, including matrons, assistant house staff and house parents, with responsibility for the care and welfare of boarding pupils. The course sessions will broadly cover the following areas:

• Organisation and communication in a boarding school; outcomes for boarders; adolescent development; eSafety issues and challenges
  • Major legislation as it affects life in a boarding school; safeguarding issues; National Minimum Standards for Boarding Schools; The Boarding Team; working with parents
  • Legal awareness; leadership and management; pupil induction
  • Conflict resolution; counselling skills; structures for managing crises and stress in boarding schools;
  • Emotional and mental health issues; bereavement, loss and divorce
  • Nursing Issues and physical matters; relationships;
  • A consideration of some of the challenges that young people face as they develop.

How will this course help me to develop personally and professionally?

At non graduate level, in successfully completing the course you will:

● be able to evaluate and have a clear appreciation of the personal and professional needs and skills involved in your boarding role;

● develop greater knowledge and understanding of the issues covered in the syllabus;

● develop, through support and guidance, the range of personal strategies you use to resolve relevant welfare concerns for your pupils;

● develop your ability to reflect critically on your work and evaluate the need for change or action;

● develop your study and planning skills and your ability to analyse reading and reference material;

● be able to communicate and defend your views and opinions orally and in writing;

● develop, wherever possible, your ICT expertise and an ability to access electronic information sources.

In addition, at graduate level, successful completion of the course will enable you to:

● develop a clear vision of the school's management strategies for providing good pastoral care;

● develop your study and time management skills and your ability to analyse reading and a wide range of reference sources;

● develop, wherever possible, your ICT expertise and your ability to access electronic information sources.

How is the course organised?

The course is organised around a combination of intensive study days and/or residential conferences which contain a variety of teaching methods and opportunities to learn in different ways short lectures, presentations and discussions led by students, together with group problem solving exercises and case studies. Group discussion is a particularly important aspect of this module, enabling you to look at the theory in the light of your own practical experience. You will be encouraged to contribute ideas, opinions and questions, take responsibility for your own learning and, by sharing, to contribute to the learning of the group as a whole.

There are some 14 courses running at any one time; 5 or 6 of the Pastoral Care and Boarding Management which are run in London and regionally; and one of BSA Advanced Certificate in  Boarding Practice (School Nurses) and BSA Advanced Certificate in Boarding Practice School Support & Welfare) BSA Advanced Certificate in Boarding Practice (International Students) all run in the London area. 

• Book Advanced Certificate in Boarding Practice (School Nurses) via this link
  • Book Advanced Certificate in Boarding Practice (Pupil Support & Welfare) via this link
  • Book Advanced Certificate in Boarding Practice (International Students) via this link

Book Your BSA Advanced Certificate Course 2020-2021 

to reserve your place please click on the course code

Course Code

Region

Module

Dates

BM 20/4

Edinburgh

Boarding Management

November 02-03, 2020/ February 24-25, 2021

PC 20/5

York

Pastoral Care

November 09, 2020 / February 01, 2021 / May 13, 2021/June 18, 2021

PC 20/6

London

Pastoral Care

November 19, 2020/ February 03, 2021 / April 29, 2021/June 21, 2021

BM 20/9

South & East

Boarding Management

November 23, 2020 / January 21, 2021 / March 02, 2021/ May 20, 2021

BM 20/10

Midlands

Boarding Management

November 26, 2020 / January 25, 2021 / March 23, 2021 / May 12, 2021

BM 20/11

London

Boarding Management

January 14, 2021 / March 25, 2021 / May 14 2021 / June 15 2021

PC 20/12

London

Pastoral Care

November 30, 2020 / March 04, 2021 / April 27, 2021 / June 9, 2021

PC 21/1

South & East

Pastoral Care

February 02, 2021 / April 22, 2021 / June 08, 2021 / September 23, 2021

PC 21/2

South West

Pastoral Care

January 28, 2021 / April 21, 2021 / May 25, 2021 / September 21, 2021

BM 21/3

South West & South East

Boarding Management

March 29-30, 2021 / June 17, 2021 / October 12, 2021

Cancellations

If cancelling 4 weeks before Day 1 of the course, a refund will be given.  Cancellation after this period and before Day 1, a charge of £120 will need to be made. 

Frequently Asked Questions

• What are the Course Objectives?
    • to raise awareness of key issues of importance to boarding
    • to increase confidence and competence (especially for those with little boarding experience)
    • to bring boarding staff up to date with recent changes and developments
    • to provide opportunities to share experience and good practice with colleagues
    • to encourage reflection and critical evaluation of boarding practice and professional issues
    • to provide opportunities to study and develop expertise in specific areas of interest
    • to contribute towards school improvement and raising standards of pastoral care and welfare
    • to enhance a professional career path in boarding;to provide a university qualification in recognition of successful completion of the courses.
  • What do the Certificates consist of?

Professional Development Certificate (graduate staff at level HE3) & (non-graduate staff at level HE1)

Part 1

• Pastoral Care and Young People

Part 2 Either

• Boarding Management
    • Or Pupil Support & Welfare
    • Or Nursing Certificate
    • International Student Certificate

• How are these Certificates delivered?

This comprises of four study days which are arranged on a regional basis so that students are able to select the location which best suit their needs. Students must attend all four sessions of each course. These Study Day sessions will be tutored by a variety of specialist contributors as well as experienced boarding staff. Many sessions will benefit from joint contributions and discussion between non-teaching and teaching staff participants. Students are also expected to read in and around the key topics and to carry out research.

• Where and when are the courses run?

The courses are arranged on a regional basis, with the Study Day sessions being held in one (or in some cases two) locations.

The first date of each regional course is key and MUST be attended as it includes the essential introduction to the whole course/module. If this day is not attended, you will need to start on another course if available. 

NB:  that all participants are required to attend all four study days for any given course.  If you wish to transfer to an alternative study day, please contact liz@boarding.org.uk with your request, please note that all changes will incur an administrative fee of £75 per day. 

• How is the Course Assessed?

HE 1 CERTIFICATE

• PART 1 - completion of a 3,500 word Portfolio, reflecting the learning and understanding that has been developed in relation to course themes and the participant’s learning.
    • PART 2 - compilation of a Resource Pack on a chosen boarding/health and development theme, incorporating appropriate investigation and evaluation in school.

HE 3 CERTIFICATE

• PART 1 - compilation of a 3,500 word Diary, reflecting the learning and understanding in relation to the themes of the course and the participant’s professional development.
    • PART 2 - will be assessed by the completion of an extended piece of written work (3,500-4,000 words), in the form of a short research project or an essay on an issue of importance and relevance to the participant.

• How long will it take?

Most participants will complete the two parts of the course in sequence, but it is possible to complete Part 2 before Part 1 if participants have had prior experience of working in a boarding setting. It is expected that most participants will complete both parts of the certificate during a two-year period, but some may be able to complete the whole course within a shorter time span.

• What support will be available to me?

Each course will be supported by a team of tutors and participants should have the support of a mentor (approved and appointed by the Head), who is likely to be a senior colleague in a position to support, encourage and assist the participant in day-to-day work, and in his/her progress through the course. The mentor will be briefed by BSA and will receive appropriate training and guidance. The course tutors for the taught components of the Certificates will also provide on-going support and help with the self-study units and assessment tasks.

Reading lists will be provided for each module of the course; schools are expected to provide such reference materials for their participants.

2 Certificates via 10 study days over 2 years at venues all over the country. You can do it, and the BSA can help.

BSA Training Team
90%
of boarding pupils proceed to the university of their choice.
-