CLOSEcontent
MENUcontent
The BSA Team CONTACT THE BSA
SUB MENU

The BSA Team

Chief Executive

Robin Fletcher, MBA MPhil FRSA
T. +44 (0)207 798 1580
E. robin@boarding.org.uk

Robin Fletcher, MBA, MPhil is CEO of BSA Group, comprising the BSA (Boarding Schools’ Association), SACPA (Safeguarding and Child Protection Association) and BAISIS (British Association of Independent Schools with International Students). Robin was a journalist, editor and communications director before joining BSA in 2014.

As BSA CEO, Robin is a member of the Department for Education’s Systems Partnership Oversight Board. Outside BSA, he is an elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, an Honorary Fellow of Cardiff Metropolitan University, a Governor of Rugby School, President of the Rugbeian Society and a non-executive director of the national trade body Make UK. He lives in Bath in southwest England and has two daughters, two stepdaughters, and two stepsons.

Chief Operating Officer 

Aileen Kane, BA (Hons)
T. +44 (0)207 798 1580
E. aileen@boarding.org.uk

Aileen is COO of BSA Group, comprising the BSA (Boarding Schools’ Association), SACPA (Safeguarding and Child Protection Association) and BAISIS (British Association of Independent Schools with International Students). Aileen leads operations at BSA providing guidance and training to member schools and works closely with government departments including DfE, Home Office, DIT, MOD, FCO, local authorities and other agencies to support member schools. She is also a board member of the Boarding Schools Partnership group which aims to place vulnerable children into boarding schools and heads up BSA's work to find places for refugee children escaping from conflict countries.

A business graduate, Aileen worked as a head of international marketing in the beauty industry before entering the education sector. She managed the MAD (Marketing, Admissions, Development) departments at two independent UK schools within SMT/SLT to achieve strategic targets including growth and market awareness. Aileen is Director of Sacpa (Safeguarding and Child Protection Association) also a trustee for a children's charity.

Director of Safeguarding, Standards and Training

Dale Wilkins, BA (Hons), MA (Ed), PGCE
BSA Level 4 Accredited Boarding Practitioner
T. +44 (0)207 798 1580
E. dale@boarding.org.uk

Dale joined the BSA during Summer 2017 with responsibility for safeguarding and standards.  In July 2019 he also assumed responsibility for the BSA’s training programme, including both day seminars and accredited training courses.  Dale leads on all safeguarding and inspection matters for the BSA, including managing the Commitment to Care Charter, the annual Safeguarding Conference,  the Safeguarding Forum.   He has also developed a process of BSA Accreditation for our overseas members. 

For 31 years Dale was a boarding practitioner. After boarding positions at Norwich School and Tettenhall College, Dale became a Housemaster at Old Swinford Hospital in 1992, and was promoted to Deputy Head in 2007, and subsequently also DSL. He has also been a multi-agency trainer for the Dudley Safeguarding Children’s Board and has been closely involved in inspection in state and independent boarding since 2002. Dale had previously been a BSA course tutor since 1998 and developed the BSA Self-Assessment Toolkit.

International Director

Caroline Nixon M.A. (Oxon.), M. Ed. 
T. +44 (0)207 798 1580
E. caroline.nixon@boarding.org.uk

Caroline has worked in international education for 30 years. As Caroline Nixon Education, she has worked on many successful projects including helping UK schools to establish new overseas branches, advising an international school opening in the UK, assisting an educational group to set up a guardianship agency, and advising schools on academic and pastoral provision for their international students.

Before becoming a consultant, Caroline was Principal of Taunton School International and set up a new school for international children aged 8-14. She was also responsible for the international marketing of, and admissions into, Taunton School.

Caroline is also Director, BAISIS (British Association of Independent Schools with International Students), a member of the British Council International Education Advisory Group, and a member of the advisory group to the British Government’s All Party Parliamentary Group for international students.

Member Services Director

Chris Ryan, MA, BSc, PGCE, NPQH
T. +44 (0)207 798 1580
E. chris@boarding.org.uk

Chris joined BSA as Membership and Marketing Manager in February 2017 and now heads up the Member Services team. He is well versed in the world of education, having worked as a teacher for 30 years, the last twelve as Deputy Head; which included a period as Acting Headteacher.

Having experienced seven Ofsted inspections, he is keenly aware of the pressures that they put on school staff. Years of interviewing, assemblies, presentations to governors and engaging with stakeholders from all walks of life have enabled him to respond to a variety of requests and issues in a creative, logical and often humorous manner.

Senior Training Manager

Liz McDonald
T. +44 (0)207 798 1580
E. liz@boarding.org.uk

Liz McDonald has been with the BSA for five years and is responsible for the coordination of the BSA training requirements, including the Roehampton University course. Liz is a former financial services professional, and relishes any opportunity to help and assist boarding staff with their training needs and continued professional development.

Member Services Manager

Bethan Waddington 
 T. +44 (0)207 798 1580
 E. bethan@boarding.org.uk

Bethan Waddington joined the BSA team as Training Manager in September 2017 and now supports Chris as Member Services Manager. Passionate about education, Bethan has worked in two independent boarding schools in the UK and Switzerland, the latter as Housemistress to 36 pupils. Following her time in Switzerland, she was a Pastoral Manager for an inner-city state academy before working in the charity sector for Debrett's running the ‘Debrett's Foundation’ training programme to provide life skills and training opportunities to underprivileged teens.  

In her role, Bethan co-ordinates all Day Seminars, INSET and Consultancy. She believes boarding can be a positive force for young people and in order to fully support their needs staff can never learn too much. As such she is passionate about the CPD BSA delivers to our pastoral communities in the UK and worldwide.

Finance and Business Development Manager 

Janki Amlani
T. +44 (0)20 7798 1580
E. janki@boarding.org.uk

Janki joined the BSA team in May 2019 and looks after finance and business development for the BSA Group. The glue that holds the BSA Team together, Janki manages all financial matters within the association and is the first point of contact for inbound queries to the office. Prior to joining BSA, Janki worked in the private healthcare sector and in her spare time assists with her family business.

Member Services Coordinator

Chantelle Howell-Walker 
T. +44 (0)20 7798 1580
E. janki@boarding.org.uk

Chantelle joined the team in 2020 and supports BSA members and the team in her role as Membership Co-ordinator. With an MA in Cultural Studies, Chantelle is dedicated to matters of diversity, inclusion and safeguarding. In her spare time she currently organises a feminist book club and loves a proper cup of tea.

Boarding Dog

Haggis
T. +44 (0)20 7798 1580
E. bsa@boarding.org.uk

Haggis is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and joined the BSA team in August 2017. He likes long walks and lazy afternoon naps. He looks forward to meeting fellow boarding house dogs in the near future.

BSA Consultants

Nursing Advisor

Jane Graham, MSc, BSc, Dip Ed., R.S.C.N
jane@boarding.org.uk

Trained at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children, Jane has 27 years of nursing background, 17 of which is in trauma and intensive care. Whilst in PICU, she had a number of different roles. Nine years of that included a role as a specialist retrieval nurse (CATS) that entailed travelling around the country to stabilize and bring back critically unstable children. To do this she learned advanced nursing and basic medical skills in resuscitation, all medical conditions, and trauma.

She went on to teach these skills to student nurses, qualified nurses and junior doctors as the Practice educator on intensive care. This role also involved lecturing regularly at South Bank University. She is a DSL for Safeguarding at St Teresa’s School where she currently is the Lead Nurse. On the back of setting up the school’s medical services, she has set up a first aid training company Action + First Aid. She is a freelance instructor for Qualsafe an awarding body approved by the HSE. 

Nursing Advisor

Jill Hill, BSc, DipHE, RN
jill@boarding.org.uk

Jill Hill is entering her 6th year as Lead Nurse at The Cheltenham Ladies College, following a long career in Emergency care. As a Senior Sister and Emergency Nurse Practitioner at the John Radcliffe hospital, she was responsible for staff training and worked in association with Oxford Brookes University to deliver specialist lectures in minor injuries and autonomous practice.

In 2012, her chapter “The Role of the Trauma Nurse” was published in the 4th Edition of ABC of Major Trauma, she continues to be an ALS instructor for Resus Council (UK). Jill’s change of direction into school nursing enabled her to rekindle her love of nursing by making a marked difference to the students in her care by reinventing the medical centre and its provision at CLC.  She and her team are an integral part of the Pastoral team, working with students, staff and key stakeholders to ensure that the overall physical, emotional and psychological wellbeing of each individual pupil is at the centre of all they do. Jill is a strong advocate for the nursing profession suggesting the unique skills and qualities nurses possess make them the perfect advocates for the students in their care.

Senior Consultant

Andrew Lewin
andrew.lewin@boarding.org.uk

Andrew Lewin was International Director at the BSA before moving into a consultant role. His broad remit offers a range of services to boarding schools in the eight BSA International Regions (Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Middle East, Africa, India & Nepal, East Asia, China & Hong Kong, the Americas). He has considerable experience working with boarding school staff all around the world. 

Andrew has lived and worked in boarding schools all his life. He has been the Head in three boarding schools, as well as Deputy Head, Housemaster, Head of Geography, Master i/c Rugby, Hockey and Cricket, Appeal Director and Director of Development. He has been an ISI Team Inspector and a Governor of an independent boarding school. He has also served on the local safeguarding children's boards in North Yorkshire and Cheshire where he organised and delivered training for both local authorities and independent schools.

Senior Consultant

Mark Robinson
mark.robinson@boarding.org.uk

Mark has a Product Design Degree from Brunel University and a PGCE. His first post in independent education was as Assistant Master at Christ’s Hospital in Horsham where he held several positions including Assistant Housemaster to a junior boy’s boarding house. After five years he moved on to Ardingly College in West Sussex as a Head of Department and Housemaster to a joint day and boarding house.

Mark has been an inspector onboarding inspections, an Assistant Housemaster to a girls’ boarding house and fully involved in teaching up to ‘A’ Level. In 2002 Mark gave up teaching to set up Mentor Education Services Ltd, a business offering education-related consultancy services to the independent sector, initially training, interview coaching and professional development but also marketing and pre-inspection to schools both in the independent and maintained sector. Mark was appointed as Assistant Director of Training for the Boarding Schools’ Association in 2010, where he continued offering training and consultancy to independent and state schools both in the UK and around the world. In 2017 he was appointed as Deputy Head Pastoral at College du Leman in Switzerland, a large international boarding and day school. After gaining some valuable international experience, Mark has returned to the UK to continue his training and consultancy in the Independent and state school sectors.

International Student Consultant

Philip Hardaker B.Ed (Hons), Celta, FRSA
bsa@boarding.org.uk

Phil has extensive experience in the education of students from overseas. He has worked with international students from 30-40 different countries since 1979, in both boarding and academic roles as a Housemaster and subsequently Director of Studies, Vice-Principal and Principal before retiring and becoming an educational consultant in September 2017. He was Principal of Sherborne International when ISA awarded the school “Excellent” in every category following a full integrated inspection in January 2016. He has also overseen successful British Council inspections.  For over 20 years Phil also had an active marketing role, dealing regularly with agents and with parents in their own countries. In addition, he has lectured for BSA, AEGIS and for ISCis South West, as well as providing in-service training workshops, seminars and full audits in a range of schools.  He is co-author, with Christopher Greenfield, of the BSA publication, Truly World Class - Meeting the Needs of International Students in British Schools.  He has also inspected for ISI. Phil’s sessions for the BSA have been observed and reported on in both the Times and the Telegraph.

In 2016 Phil created, and now jointly delivers, the BSA Advanced Certificate in Boarding Practice (International Students).

CREDIT: Image header taken from BSA member school Highfield School

-