This update focuses solely on school closures following various announcements across the UK today.
1.1 Secretary of State for Education Gavin Williamson announced this evening that all state and independent schools would shut from this Friday except for vulnerable children and children of key workers. Please click here to view the full statement.
ISC released useful guidance for schools this evening and includes the Coronavirus Bill, details about financial support and a link to the updated Farrer & Co. legal advice, please visit their website for further information.
1.2 In a phone call with BSA this evening, Schools’ minister Baroness Berridge said:
- Boarding schools with boarders who have not left the school should continue to care for them as normal
- The government would clarify arrangements for schools which care for looked-after children (e.g. under the government’s Boarding School Partnerships scheme)
- The government would welcome boarding school support for delivery of services for key worker children/vulnerable children and would clarify how best any partnership support would work
- The government would clarify financial arrangements for state boarding schools which faced unapproved budget deficits through the loss of boarding fees
- The government would clarify with PHE arrangements for self-isolating boarders to avoid any confusion
- She was grateful for any ongoing partnership work between the independent and state sector.
2. Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland
Closures for all schools have been announced. See the following links:
Links to previous BSA advice
As ever the update is issued by BSA in conjunction with ISC and our sister association BAISIS. BSA reminds all schools that it is not a medical, statutory or legal authority and any advice is given on that basis.
Please note the BSA office is now closed and the team is working remotely, if you would like further advice from the BSA, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.