18 Nov 2020 - 11 May 2021
NEW - Live Online
Advanced Certificate in Professional Practice for School Nurses
School nurses form a key part of the safeguarding and pastoral care framework within our schools however staff CPD opportunities seldom focus on the key areas to support their professional development. As part of a refocus of the training available through the BSA, we can now offer a standalone Professional Practice Certificate for school medical staff.
New Certificate Course:
This course will link professional practice with current research and best practice to provide a unique opportunity for school nurses, whether working in relative isolation or as part of the medical team, to development their knowledge, skills and practice across a wide range of the key current themes/topics most relevant to their role. In addition, there will be a linked research project which will provide the chance to focus on a specific aspect in more detail.
The course will consist of 4 separate live online study days spread over a full academic year. The sessions on each study day will be a mixture of presentations often with an external expert, and group discussions.
BSA Certificate in Professional Practice for School Nurses 2020-2021
November 18, 2020 / January 12, 2021 / March 10, 2021 / May 11, 2021
Study Day sessions will include:
- Covid Update
- The role of the Nurse in a school setting
- The medical centre in the wider context: inspection planning, managing medicines
- Where to now: progression and development within the medical centre: auditing/department development plans
- Working with children with ASD and ADHD
- Travel Health and immunisations
- Managing a critical incident
- Drug misuse and screening
- Delivering health education in a school setting
- Working with young people with disordered eating
- Mental health risk assessment/working with a mental health lead/pastoral team
- legal issues
- Policy writing
- Sexual health, contraception and screening
- Managing children from overseas with medical conditions
- Supervision/revalidation and clinical supervision
- Working with external agencies
- Course Assignment & Reflection
The course assignment provides course students with an opportunity to focus on a specific area of particular relevance to their school/role. This can range from ‘supporting a student with a complex medical condition; a review of the nursing provision in the school; the development of a new appraisal system; the management of medical records across a whole school; health promotion models; to a student guide to accessing specific support for an emotional health issue.
The assignment will take the form of a 2500 – 3000 word written project which can be an essay or a report which must be submitted by 30th June 2021. These will be assessed by the course tutor and the results published/certificates issued in the early Autumn.
Timings for each study day – 10.00 to 13.45
Our Preferred Training Platform is Zoom
Cost - £650 which covers all 4 study days, assignment marking, certificates and Accredited Boarding Practitioner Status. Find out more about The BSA Accredited Boarding Practitioner Scheme Here