Lancing College are seeking to appoint an inspirational and enthusiastic teacher of Mandarin who can teach the language across all ages and abilities: from complete beginners to native speakers. The focus will be preparing native/near-native speakers for IGCSE and A-Level examinations.
The role is part-time (0.4-12 lessons a week) but is subject to change depending on the number of students.
Modern Languages at Lancing
The Modern Languages department at Lancing College has four full-time and four part-time members, plus native-speaker assistants for French, German, and Spanish. Of these teachers, three teach French, three German, three Spanish, one Italian, one Chinese and one Russian. The Head of German is also the Head of the Languages, and The Head of French is Secondin Department. All report to the Head of Languages. Currently, pupils are entered for the AQA GCSE and A Level in German, Spanish and French and Edexcel/Pearson for Chinese and Russian.
Teacher of Chinese – Key Skills and Qualities required
- A native speaker of Mandarin. Knowledge and ideally previous experience of Cantonese. This would be an advantage to support our Hong Kongese students.
- Knowledge and previous experience of GCSE/IGCSE and A-Level examinations (Pearson/Edexcel Examination Board).
- An excellent classroom practitioner (or with the potential to become one) with a genuine passion for languages, able to lead by example and inspire pupils.
- A strong first degree in a relevant discipline with post-graduate qualifications and experience would be an advantage.
- A good team player with the ability to lead and work with a small team but also to work independently.
- An outgoing and positive personality, proactive in outlook, enthusiastic with gravitas to be an outstanding ambassador for the College.
- Kind, approachable and measure din manner with the ability to form strong working relationships with pupils, colleagues and parents.
- Organised with strong attention to detail and ability to work with discretion.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Flexible with working hours.
- Willingness to contribute to the extra-curricular life of the College.
- Proficient and confident using Microsoft Office, especially Outlook, Word and Excel. Training will be provided for College specific applications (iSMAS).
Please apply directly https://www.lancingcollege.co.uk/vacancy/teacher-chinese-part-time
Please make sure to fill out the whole application form and pre-employment declaration form.