St Mary’s Calne offers an academically enriching working environment within the beautiful Wiltshire countryside, with easy transport links to Bristol, Bath and London
St Mary’s Calne is a member of the Girls’ Schools Association (GSA) and the Headmasters’ and Headmistress’ Conference (HMC); it is a leader in the field of girls’ independent boarding education. It has around 365 girls aged 11-18, including 120+ girls in the Sixth Form. As well as innovative teaching, learning and scholarship, St Mary’s Calne offers outstanding pastoral care and a vibrant, warm community.
St Mary’s Calne believes in excellence in all respects. As a school community, we thrive amidst a culture of strong expectations and the education which we provide nurtures and develops the concept of high performance. The principal aim is to develop well-rounded pupils who are equipped to excel as adults.
Extra-curricular opportunities beyond the classroom are a vital and integral part of life for girls at St Mary’s Calne. These opportunities are woven into the timetable during the day, in the evenings and at weekends. We believe that both boarders and day girls benefit from all aspects of the strong boarding ethos of the school.
We are looking for a talented and enthusiastic teacher, with excellent inter-personal skills, to join our outstanding Music Department to cover a period of maternity leave. You will be confident in teaching Music across the school teaching 20 lessons per week which will comprise largely curriculum music teaching, but also theory and aural training to small groups, and some 1:1 instrumental and/or vocal tuition. You will also lead one or more musical ensembles in weekly rehearsals and performances as required.
The Music Department is based in a purpose built block which is well equipped with instruments, PCs, up to date teaching resources and a recording studio. In addition to curriculum music, around 75% of pupils take individual instrument or singing lessons and there are currently around 20 Music and Choral Scholars.
Music holds an important place at the heart of St Mary’s Calne featuring prominently in events such as Confirmation, Carol Service and Founders’ Day. The department works to develop individual talents, while seeking to bring the whole community together through music. Each year there is a vigorous programme of concerts and events and a number of collaborations with other prestigious institutions regularly feature.
What we want from you
- University Graduate in Music
- Qualified teacher with an ability to teach Music from Year 7 through to A Level
- The ability to play the piano for accompaniment purposes
- The ability to play the organ (desirable)
- Excellent communication skills
- Motivation to work with young people
- Positive attitude and approach to change and development
- Willingness to participate in and expectation of contribution to the wider life of a boarding school and extra-curricular life
- The ability to tutor girls and be pastorally aware of their needs
What we offer
- Excellent and tailored CPD within the department and across the school
- Highly motivated girls with lessons taught in small groups
- Competitive salary and membership of the Teacher Pension Scheme
- Discounted membership of the St Mary’s Calne Sports Centre
- Fee remission for daughters educated at St Mary’s Calne and for sons and daughters educated at St Margaret’s Preparatory School
- Complimentary meals in the Dining Hall during term time
- Free on-site parking
How to Apply
For an Application Form please visit Vacancies on our website www.stmaryscalne.org
Telephone: 01249 857200 (Karen Turner)
Closing date: Midday, Friday 28th February 2020