CLOSEcontent
MENUcontent
News Article CONTACT THE BSA
Oundle pupils take part in National Young String Quartet Weekend
6th March 2014

 

Two talented string quartets from Oundle School recently took part in a prestigious National Young String Quartet Weekend event organised by Wigmore Hall Learning at Watford School of Music, joining string players from a number of conservatoires and specialist music schools.

 

The coaches included Mark Messenger RCM (Violin), Cristoph Richter (Cello), Pavel Fischer (ex Skampa 4tet – Violin), Rafael Todes (Allegri 4tet – Violin), Miguel de Silva (Viola), Nicholas Jones (Chethams’ - Cello) and the Carducci 4tet (Winners of the Evian International String Quartet competition).

 

Head of Strings at Oundle, Angus Gibbon commented, “Each quartet had individual coaching and workshops and the opportunity to hear faculty recitals, as well as opportunities for the pupils to socialise and build friendships with musicians from other schools. Our pupils benefited from not only a weekend of musical inspiration, but also from new ideas on quartet technique and advice on effective rehearsal methods. The weekend culminated in a concert at the music school’s new 400 seat concert hall.

 

The Oundle ‘Chan 4tet’ impressed all of the coaches and the audience with their mature interpretation and independence of thought. The experience was invaluable for all of our pupils.”

 

Press contact:

 

Liz Dillarstone

Publicity and Press Relations Officer

Oundle School

01832 277267

07810 788458

ed@oundleschool.org.uk

 

 

Background Information on Oundle School

 

Oundle School is situated in the quintessentially English market town of Oundle, about 90 miles north of London. The School’s buildings, dating from the 17th to the 21st centuries, are dispersed throughout the town, which is, to a large extent, its campus.

 

The School’s history dates back to 1556, when Sir William Laxton, Master of the Worshipful Company of Grocers and Lord Mayor of London, endowed and re-founded the original Oundle Grammar School, of which he was a former pupil. In 1876, the Grocer’s Company divided the School into two parts; Laxton Grammar School, primarily for the inhabitants of the town, and Oundle School, primarily for pupils from further afield. In 2000, the Grocers’ Company reunited the two schools under the common name of Oundle School and retained the name of Laxton for the day House.

 

At the beginning of the 20th century, Oundle was put firmly on the map of leading English public schools by its most famous headmaster, F W Sanderson, who established Oundle’s reputation as one of the great science and engineering schools, a reputation still renowned today. In 2007, SciTec - a major and ground-breaking new science complex - opened, housing 16 state-of-the-art laboratories. Phase two of the SciTec vision is now underway, with enhanced Design Technology facilities and a new purpose-built Mathematics Department planned to link the STEM subjects both physically and philosophically. A concurrent Sports Masterplan will upgrade sporting facilities across the School over the next few years, including a new 1st XI cricket pavilion in 2015.

 

There are currently 1110 pupils are on roll at Oundle School, with 865 boarders and 250 day pupils. Also within the Corporation of Oundle School is Laxton Junior School, a day School for children aged 4 to 11. 

You may also be interested in ...