26 Nov 2020 - 12 May 2021
The BSA Advanced Certificate in Boarding Practice: Boarding Management
This is a two year modular course is aimed specifically at staff working in and around boarding. Over the last 20 years approx. 3000 House tutors, matrons, school nurses, assistants, house parents and HsMs have completed this award.
Non- graduates complete at HE1 level and graduates at HE3 level. The key difference lies in the end of module assignment. The Course is arranged in 2 parts as follows:
Students will normally commence on a Part 1 course and then follow on to a Part 2 Module; the choice of the latter is likely to be dependant on your role in boarding.
- Part 1: BSA Certificate in Boarding Practice - (Pastoral Care)
and one of these:
- Part 2: BSA Advanced Certificate in Boarding Practice (Boarding Management)
- Part 2: BSA Advanced Certificate in Boarding Practice (School Nurses)
- Part 2: BSA Advanced Certificate in Boarding Practice (Pupil Support and Welfare)
- Part 2: BSA Advanced Certificate in Boarding Practice (International Students)
What does this course cover?
This course is taken by both graduate teaching and non-graduate house staff, including matrons, assistant house staff and house parents, with responsibility for the care and welfare of boarding pupils. The course sessions will broadly cover the following areas:
- Organisation and communication in a boarding school; Outcomes for boarders; adolescent development; e Safety issues and challenges
- Major legislation as it affects life in a boarding school; safeguarding issues; National Minimum Standards for Boarding Schools; The Boarding Team; working with parents
- Conflict resolution; counselling skills; structures for managing crises and stress in boarding schools;
- Emotional and mental health issues; bereavement, loss and divorce
- Nursing Issues and physical matters; relationships;
- A consideration of some of the challenges that young people face as they develop.
Study day dates for this Boarding Management Module are:
Please note all study days will be held online. This will be a live online study day with interactive morning and afternoon sessions which allow for discussion.
November 26, 2020 / January 25, 2021 / March 23, 2021 / May 12, 2021