03 Oct 2018 - 14 Jun 2019
The BSA Advanced Certificate in Professional Development
This is a two year modular course is aimed specifically at staff working in and around boarding. Over the last 20 years approx. 2000 House tutors, matrons, school nurses, assistants, house parents and HsMs have completed this award.
Non- graduates complete at HE1 level and graduates at HE3 level. The key difference lies in the end of module assignment. The Course is arranged in 2 parts as follows:
and one of these:
- Boarding Management or The Certificate in Professional Practice for School Nurses or School Matrons
What does this course cover?
This course is taken by both graduate teaching and non-graduate house staff, including matrons, assistant house staff and house parents, with responsibility for the care and welfare of boarding pupils. The course sessions will broadly cover the following areas:
- Organisation and communication in a boarding school; Outcomes for boarders; adolescent development; e Safety issues and challenges
- Major legislation as it affects life in a boarding school; safeguarding issues; National Minimum Standards for Boarding Schools; The Boarding Team; working with parents
- Conflict resolution; counselling skills; structures for managing crises and stress in boarding schools;
- Emotional and mental health issues; bereavement, loss and divorce
- Nursing Issues and physical matters; relationships;
- A consideration of some of the challenges that young people face as they develop.
Study day dates for this Pastoral Care Module are:
December 03, 2018
February 04, 2019
March 28, 2019
May 21, 2019
June 20, 2019
All five study days must be attended