21 Mar 2018 10:30 - 21 Mar 2018 15:30
Date: March 21, 2018
Why you should attend? Boarding schools have a unique nature to them with their 24/7 residential care and the intense programme of educational, social, sporting and creative activities. Expectations of the children, their parents and schools can sometimes create excessive pressure and stress, and consequently require the school team to be very aware and ready to respond to the emotional needs of young people. This workshop will explore the more common risks and challenging behaviours exhibited by students, and the key challenges which this brings for the pastoral team.
10:00 - 10:30 : Welcome, tea and coffee on arrival
10:30 : Seminar starts
11:30 : Break
12:45 : Lunch
14:30 : Break
15:30 : Seminar closes
Topics covered will include:
- The bigger picture- how the boarding school world is changing
- What current risks and behaviours we are likely to see in our schools
- How social media has complicated the picture, and
- What aspects of the mental and emotional health of young people we need to really focus on
- How the pastoral team can best support young people
- How we can be more proactive in managing such emotional crises.
- What approaches might be effective in supporting the most challenging of young people.
Venue: Boarding Schools' Association, 134 Buckingham Palace Road, SW1W 9SA
Cost: Member £200 / Non-member £250